Receiving tweets from protected account(s) (via FilteredStream)

Dec 20, 2013 at 8:08 AM
I've managed to receive "tracked" keywords from a filteredstream. I can also receive tweets from users who follow me or unprotected accounts.

How can I get tweets from any user (without following) using FilteredStream? or a different approach is required?
Coordinator
Dec 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Hi,

SimpleStream receives tweets from all the users of Twitter but does not provide any filter solution over the tweets you receive.
FilteredStream allows you to receive tweets from all the users using Twitter, not only the users you are following. It gives you the ability to filter the content you receive based on various criteria.
UserStream allows you to receive tweets only from the users you are following. You can also filter the tweets/users from which you want to receive the information.

How can I get tweets from any user (without following) using FilteredStream? or a different approach is required?
To respond to your question, the FilteredStream should already be doing what you want.

Please let me know if this makes any sense.
Kind Regards,
Linvi
Dec 20, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Hi Linvi

First of all, thanks for the quick response. I’m already using FilteredStream but I could not receive anything from “protected” users. I asked the user to remove protection and tweets showed up. Did you test that?

-ME
Coordinator
Dec 20, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Hi,

Yes I tested that and in fact you cannot retrieve tweets from protected users with the FilteredStream.
If you want to get tweets from protected users, you need to follow them and have them following you (bi-directional relationship), even with this I am not sure you can access the information of protected accounts because the FilteredStream is a Public Stream.

Otherwise, if you want to receive the tweets from your friends on Twitter, you can Use the UserStream and the event .TweetCreatedByAnyOneButMe.
At this stage you can filter the friends from who you receive the tweets from.

You can find an example of how to do this in this discussion : https://tweetinvi.codeplex.com/discussions/472205

Linvi
Marked as answer by linvi on 1/16/2014 at 4:14 AM