Get Reply to Specific Tweet

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:22 AM
how i can get all other people Reply to Specific Tweet . i want to navigate to Specific Tweet and see all the people reply to that tweet . it doesn't look like Twitter API provide method for this so far so i wonder how i can do this with Tweetinvi

BTW many Apps have done this such as TweetBot and many other Apps . so there must be some hack for this
Feb 7, 2014 at 10:14 AM
Hi,

Yes of course, this is very simple. Keep in mind that the Twitter API does not provide any solution to get more than 100 retweets.

Tweetinvi 0.9.0.0
var lastTweetPublished = Timeline.GetHomeTimeline().First();
var retweets = lastTweetPublished.GetRetweets();
Or:

Tweetinvi 0.9.0.0
var lastTweetPublished = Timeline.GetHomeTimeline().First();
var retweets = Tweet.GetRetweets(lastTweetPublished);
Linvi
Feb 7, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Edited Feb 7, 2014 at 11:15 AM
I think you misunderstand my Question

I'm not asking about getting a list of Retweeters .

My Question is about getting the conversation (replies) related to a tweet . There's currently no public API to obtain this but there must be some hack to this . i see many apps such as TweetBot and many other manage to get the conversation (replies) related to a tweet

For Example i want to navigate to your Tweet and under that Tweet and i want see a list of people reply to your tweet

I found this workaround for example
http://www.quora.com/How-can-I-get-a-list-of-replies-to-a-specific-tweet-via-Twitter-API

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:24 AM
Hi,

Sorry for my misunderstanding. There is no such feature yet implemented in Tweetinvi but I can add it for you.
I already have a lot of features to implement from other requests, would that be fine for you if this feature is implemented the 11-12 of February?

Regards,
Linvi
Feb 7, 2014 at 12:21 PM
yes mate that would be fantastic
Feb 7, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Work item has been created here.
Feb 8, 2014 at 12:58 AM
Hi,

A solution has been implemented in Tweetinvi 0.9, it might be improved in the future but I think you can play with it.
var tweet = Tweet.GetTweet(xxx);
var directReplies = Search.SearchDirectRepliesTo(tweet);
bool getRecursiveReplies = true;
var allReplies = Search.SearchRepliesTo(tweet, getRecursiveReplies);
Please let me know if you are happy with the implementation and the results.
Keep in mind that this is using the Search API of twitter as there is no other way to get this information.
It means that some replies could have not been returned by the search and consequently not sent back to Tweetinvi.

To get is just download the Development version from the Source Code.

Sincerely,
Linvi
Dec 18, 2014 at 4:59 PM
Hi Linvi,
I use

IEnumerable<ITweet> discussion = Search.SearchRepliesTo(SelectedTweet, getRecursiveReplies);

and it's working, but in a strange way: sometimes It gets all tweet in a discussion and sometimes not (or not all tweet):
It's seems to depend on how old are replies: is it possible ? How can bypass this problem ?
Thanks a lot!

Alex
Jan 7, 2015 at 9:20 AM
Hi,

I know it has been a while but has this issue been fixed? This kind of problem is usually due to Twitter.

Linvi
Mar 1, 2015 at 8:17 PM
Hello,

Most of the time, I can't get all the replies
Will there be a fix?

Han Swinkels
Mar 2, 2015 at 9:37 AM
I will have a look into this issue but I am not sure I will be able to do anything.
Tweetinvi is always returning what Twitter is sending back from the request.

Are you sure the Tweets that you are referring to are not private tweets?

Linvi
Mar 2, 2015 at 4:38 PM
Nope they are not private.

And I use MeTweets on my phone, how do they get all the replies to a tweet?

Han
Mar 3, 2015 at 1:43 PM
Hi,

Could you please send me the TweetID you are referring to please.

Cheers,
Linvi
Mar 3, 2015 at 5:43 PM
For this tweet it gives me 0 replies

ID: 572813443549437952
Mar 6, 2015 at 12:21 PM
Hi,

Alright, here is the deal, I have not yet been able to find any method in the Public API that allows you to receive the replies of a specific Tweet.
Therefore in version 0.9.0.0, I implemented this feature using the SearchAPI.

Now the issue is that the Search API is limiting its results to the last 1 to 2 weeks.
Therefore replies not posted within this Time Frame shouldn't be found.

I might try to investigate if the Conversation Endpoint has been made public but it still appears to be reserved to the Twitter official applications.
If you found any information about this please let me know.

Regards,
Linvi
Marked as answer by linvi on 3/8/2015 at 11:17 AM
Mar 6, 2015 at 3:31 PM
I understand

Another question: Is there anyway I can get the tweet a tweet was in reply to?

Han
Mar 6, 2015 at 5:45 PM
Edited Mar 6, 2015 at 5:45 PM
Have you tried the following?
var tweet = Tweet.GetTweet(tweetId);
if (tweet.InReplyToStatusId != null)
{
    var sourceTweet = Tweet.GetTweet((long) tweet.InReplyToStatusId);
}
Linvi
Marked as answer by linvi on 3/8/2015 at 11:16 AM
Mar 6, 2015 at 7:54 PM
That works, thank you!
May 6, 2015 at 10:05 AM
Hello
I have a problem with Search.SearchDirectRepliesTo method. I try to get the replies of a specific Tweet (595635397394300928) and I can't get any replies. However, this tweet has 12 replies, in this moment, and all replies are yesterday (less than one week). Will there be a fix?
May 6, 2015 at 5:03 PM
Edited May 6, 2015 at 5:04 PM
Hi there,

As I mentioned in this thread, the Twitter REST API does not provide such feature.
Therefore Tweetinvi relies on the Search to access ALL the tweets related with a specific User.

It then Filters this list based on the ReplyToTweetID by verifying that the value is the exact same value as the Tweet provided to the function.

The main drawback of this logic is that if a User is famous the Tweets returned from the Search will be latest Tweets published but they might not be the replies to the Tweets provided to SearchDirectRepliesTo().

I would really advise that you try identify a better solution for your case.
I strongly advise that you have a look into this Twitter Forums Thread concerning the problem:

https://twittercommunity.com/t/see-replys-to-a-tweet/6953

You can also have a look into the function available only to the Twitter Official Apps:

http://seriot.ch/resources/abusing_twitter_api/twitter_api.pdf

You can request these private methods with Official Twitter and use the TwitterAccessor static class of Tweetinvi.
Twitter Official Keys are available on the Web but I'd prefer not to share this here.

Regards,
Linvi
May 7, 2015 at 10:35 AM
Thanks for your useful information.
May 27, 2015 at 4:04 PM
Any update on this?
May 28, 2015 at 12:41 PM
Hi,

The last reply was the 6th of may and Twitter has not changed anything since.

Cheers,
Linvi
Aug 24, 2015 at 4:28 AM
hi Linvi,
i have done as what you say,but I still can not obtain the reply,my version is Tweetinvi 0.9.9.3 ,and the code As follows:
var allReplies = Search.SearchRepliesTo(tweet, getRecursiveReplies);
Aug 25, 2015 at 12:58 PM
I will have a look into this.

Work Item : https://tweetinvi.codeplex.com/workitem/2639

Thanks for reporting it.
Sep 1, 2015 at 5:25 PM
Hi,

I looked at the issue and I believe everything is working correctly.
Please remember that this is a Search. It is therefore limited to the tweets of the previous 7 days AND it can take few seconds (usually 2-3 seconds) for the tweet to be indexed by the search engine.

Please update the work item if you still encounter this issue, but I am closing it for the moment.

Cheers,
Linvi