Retweet with custom appended content

Nov 19, 2014 at 6:32 PM
Edited Nov 19, 2014 at 7:19 PM
Hi-

I'm trying to retweet with a custom message appended onto the end of the original tweet. I previously have been retweeting via the following code which works fine :
TwitterCredentials.ExecuteOperationWithCredentials(credentials, () =>
                {
                           var t = Tweetinvi.Tweet.GetTweet(appTweet.SourceID);
                           var res = t.PublishRetweet();
                           result = true;
                });
To append a custom message, I've created a variable called 'content' which contains the original tweet's text, and if total character-length allows, my custom message. I'm trying this with the below code:
TwitterCredentials.ExecuteOperationWithCredentials(credentials, () =>
                {
                    var t = Tweetinvi.Tweet.GetTweet(appTweet.SourceID);

//content is <=140 characters in length and contains original tweet content + custom message
                    t.Text = content; 

var res = t.PublishRetweet();
                    result = true;
                });
Unfortunately the final result on Twitter does not contain my custom message. Is anyone aware of a way to accomplish this with Tweetinvi?

Thanks for helping out!
Coordinator
Nov 20, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Hi,

This is simply not possible to do that as Twitter does not provide this option (Twitter REST API - Retweet Documentation).

As per the documentation a Retweet is a new tweet that only embed the retweeted tweet (if that makes any sense).

Linvi
Marked as answer by linvi on 12/2/2014 at 12:05 PM
Editor
Nov 24, 2014 at 6:24 PM
Edited Nov 24, 2014 at 6:25 PM
If you're trying to mimick the quote feature of mobile app - that doesn't count towards retweets. Its just a new tweet. So you're looking to PublishTweet instead of PublishRetweet.